Monday, August 24, 2009

The Newspaper as a Writer's Inspiration

With the economy still in a slump, many people have opted out of their daily newspaper delivery service. I, however, am among the few who have chosen to subscribe to my city's newspaper for the first time.

Although I rarely bought the daily newspaper, I did try and get one every Sunday for the coupons. Recently I began getting angry at myself for forgetting to even that. Having it delivered each Sunday sounded delightful. However, the cost for delivery 7 days of the week was only a couple bucks more, so I thought, why not?

I am glad that I did end up getting the 7 day subscription, because I've noticed the articles and issues contained within it has triggered ideas for online articles that I might write. I simply scan the headlines and already am it with plenty of ideas of expand on. For example, a tennis tournament has taken place in Cincinnati for the past two weeks or so. The newspaper has chronicled the ups and downs and highlights of the event. I could have written several articles concerning this event and/or tennis. The articles in the newspaper brought up some of the most important events and profiles that already were ranked high in popularity. I would be wise to grab a-hold of that popularity as an online writer.

And I have.

Results? More page views and more revenue from popular subjects. Although these things may or may not result in long-term residual income, it is certain that the newspaper has helped me in generating ideas that could possibly become so.

So , if you're a writer, consider supporting your fellow local writers and subscribe to the newspaper. You're sure to be hit with a slew of ideas that make the subscription price plenty worth it. Check this out for reduced newspaper subscription rates.

Do you subscribe to the newspaper as a writer? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails